Our facility, built in the early 1880’s, still resembles the colonial-style home that it was. Built as a residence by Dr. L. Foley one of Lebanon’s Pioneer Doctors and former Mayors. It presently is a local landmark that has served thousands of families throughout the funeral homes near 100-year history.
The Shanks family has been serving the Greater-Lebanon area for nearly 40 years, but is the fifth family to operate a funeral home in this location.
Charles Poole originally began his funeral directing career in 1910 and operated in Lebanon, Sweet Home, Harrisburg and Brownsville. In 1919, he purchased our current facility from Dr. L. Foley. He sold the business to Harry Howe in December 1927, who operated it until Glen Huston purchased the business in 1945. Huston sold to Wayne Norman in 1960. The current owners, the Shanks family started working at the funeral home in 1968 and assumed ownership in 1975.
During our history the funeral home has undergone extensive additions and renovations. In the 1920’s the first chapel was added (west wing). In 1940 the current chapel was added and in 1995 the final addition. This created a new entry way, larger foyer, arrangement office, visitation room, and renovated chapel. Wheelchair accessibility was also addressed with a handicap ramp and handicap restroom being added during this renovation.
We installed our crematory in 1995, and have been performing cremations on-site ever since. To this day, we have performed numerous cremations on our grounds. Unlike many funeral homes, we do not have to transfer your loved one from one facility to another.
Current Licensed funeral directors are Ron & Jeanine Shanks, their son, Ron Shanks, Jr., John Johnson and Mike Osborne. Ron Jr. began his career in the business in 1988 and is the managing family member.
The firm is a member of the Oregon Funeral Directors Association, the National Funeral Directors Association, and Cremation Association of North America. We are proud to be independent and family-owned.